Friday 4 May 2012

Dear Diary

The joy of writing a diary


Writing a diary or journals is actually a very joyful thing to do especially when you read it at any time of leisure. There is no specific scheme or template in writing a diary. Some write about things that happened to them daily while some others only jotted the most special event in their life. As for me, I enjoy writing down my feelings, both happy and upset, the problems that I have met which always followed by the resolutions and never forgotten some words of encouragement to myself. Nevertheless, I enjoy giving myself some appreciations and compliments too. During my school time, I used to have a ‘to do’ list at the corner of the page and a note of accomplishments beside the list. Whenever I fail to hit my daily target, I will have a short self evaluation and reflection just to find out the reason of the failure. I would also write down some suggestions to overcome the problems. Besides that, I never missed to write down words of self encouragement and appreciation for I think they are far more valuable and stronger than those we get from people around us. We might be fluttered when we receive compliments from other people especially from those whom we wish to get it from but self compliments are those that sustain us in long run. My diary is not only the records of what I had done in my life but also serves as a comfort zone for me. It is my friend, my reference, my teacher and my soul mate too. The joy of writing a diary is indescribable in words. Unfortunately, this hobby has cease as time passed. Kids nowadays enjoy writing down what they do and how they feel in online application such as uploading shout outs and sharing on Facebook.  It may somehow considerable as a record of what they did but it is never as personal and truthful as compared to a diary of their own. As a teacher, I would like to encourage my students to have their own journals too. Apart from improving their writing skills, the students can enhance their vocabulary knowledge and also learn to express themselves literally. The most important thing that they would be benefited from having their own diaries is that they can understand themselves better. The process of getting to know themselves is extremely important in building up their personality while they are searching for their identity and true self. 

1 comment:

  1. It's really beautiful to listen to you write about your diary experience. Only people who love to write will find this therapeutic. Kid nowadays may record their day to day experience but they would probably do it online. such attention seeking new generation technology has produced.

    Using famous diaries in the classroom basically help to expose students to the lives of famous, successful people and show students that these people are no different from us. Through hard work and perseverance, they are able to be who they are known as today.

    ReplyDelete

elf's whispering